Advanced polyurea coatings are used for multiple industrial applications, specifically stormwater tanks. These tanks, which are built along the side of high-rise buildings in city areas where there is not enough soil to absorb water, are designed to collect and drain large volumes of water runoff from the roof and pipes of a structure to prevent flooding. The water is then metered out over time.
Structural issues such as clogged pipes, cracks in concrete, or other damages can result in significant flooding or a water backlog. In the past, stormwater tanks were coated with cementitious mortar linings for waterproofing, but these methods proved to be laborious and time-consuming.
Nowadays, polyurea protective coatings for stormwater tanks offer maximum flexibility, durability, and long-term, unfaltering waterproofing capabilities to prevent leaks and repair aging concrete structures.
Advantages of Advanced Polyurea Coatings for Stormwater Tanks
Polyurea protective coatings for stormwater tanks can help rehabilitate water treatment infrastructure that’s damaged or failing due to age. Here are some advantages of using polyurea tank linings for stormwater tanks.
- Fast installation, setting, and curing time. Installation time depends on the size and layout of the water treatment facility. But most polyurea tank lining installations can be done in a matter of 24 to 48 hours to minimize service delays and operational downtime. Advanced polyurea has a rapid gel time that results in a durable seamless membrane that’s cured and ready to use in a matter of seconds.
- Provides long-term durability. With proper maintenance and care, advanced polyurea protective coatings can indeterminately extend the lifespan and capabilities of stormwater tanks and infrastructure.
- Protects tanks from environmental damages. Advanced polyurea protective coatings consist of elastomers that maintain the flexibility of the coating and make it impervious to various environmental factors such as harsh weather conditions and abrasive chemicals. As atmospheric temperatures fluctuate, certain substrates like concrete tend to expand and contract, which can lead to cracking. Unlike stiff protective coatings, advanced polyurea is flexible enough to stretch along with the natural movements of the structures to which it’s applied without cracking or weakening the bond.
- Forms a stronger bond compared to other coatings. Standard epoxy coatings have a psi that ranges between 600 and 800. Advanced polyurea coatings consistently go up to 2000 psi, which means they form a much stronger and longer-lasting surface bond in all environmental conditions.
- Provides strong waterproofing capabilities. Polyurea waterproofing forms a durable and seamless membrane on the interior of stormwater tanks to close gaps caused by cracking as well as prevent contamination and leakage.
- Protective coating colours stay true. Advanced polyurea coatings also achieve long-term colour cohesion with the surfaces to which they’re applied. Unlike epoxy coatings, advanced polyurea is UV-resistant and therefore won’t fade over time due to long-term sun, chemical, or abrasion exposure. Available in a wide range of shades, polyurea coatings for potable water tanks maintain a longstanding fresh and new appearance with minimal maintenance required.
Why Polyurea Coatings Are Better Than Other Coating Solutions on the Market
Advanced polyurea isn’t the only industrial protective coating product on the market that’s used for various applications such as lining stormwater tanks and treatment infrastructures. In the past, cementitious mortar linings were used to waterproof stormwater tanks but it was a very time-consuming project and the labour costs were far greater (weeks) than the current polyurea coating option, which only takes 24 to 48 hours, depending on prep.
While epoxy coatings are ideal for certain industrial applications such as protecting auto shop and garage flooring systems, they’re not suitable for stormwater tanks where the structures come in contact with high volumes of water.
Advanced polyurea is the most suitable industrial coating to protect these structures against natural environmental occurrences such as carbonation, which occurs when calcium hydroxide in cement is exposed to atmospheric carbon dioxide. The result is calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate makes the concrete more rigid and susceptible to cracking and deterioration. As concrete carbonation advances, it continues to break down the cement structure until it reaches the steel reinforcement beam in the center. Once the steel beam is exposed to the elements, corrosion occurs. Corrosion and rust then cause the steel beam to expand, crack, and eventually break apart.
Applying a layer of advanced polyurea to the surface of the cement prevents carbonation by ensuring that calcium hydroxide and carbon dioxide don’t mix.
Advanced polyurea is a resilient, reliable, and long-lasting pre-emptive measure that prevents damages and the need for costly repairs or even infrastructural replacements. It’s a fast and easy concrete refurbishment and sealing solution that cuts down maintenance and repair costs significantly.
Here are a few other reasons that advanced polyurea waterproofing is the superior protective coating for water treatment tank linings.
- Easy installation. Some protective coatings are meticulously applied as a powder, which takes painstaking precision and effort and a longer installation time. Advanced polyurea coatings, however, use a rapid spray-on method that can be completed in a matter of minutes and ensures the entire surface is covered. Compared to epoxy coatings, which require a dual-component application process, advanced polyurea installation saves a lot of time and money.
- Impressive performance. Advanced polyurea protects concrete and steel by forming an impenetrable membrane that’s flexible enough to adjust to various environmental conditions and the natural movements of the surfaces to prevent cracking. It’s also abrasion and chemical-resistant and protects concrete and steel surfaces against wet-dry cycles.
- Longevity. Advanced polyurea protective coatings have the durability and flexibility to withstand decades of environmental factors including freeze-thaw cycles, temperature fluctuations, as well as UV and chemical exposures without deterioration.
- Low environmental impact. The EPA and Environment Canada both deem advanced polyurea to be one of the most reliable structural reinforcement and crack sealing coatings on the market for preventing substantial environmental damages. Advanced polyurea coatings form a strong, impenetrable membrane that bridges small and large cracks in stormwater tanks to prevent further deterioration.
Contact IMC Distributors for Stormwater Tank Linings and Protective Coatings
IMC Distributors is one of the leading suppliers of polyurea protective coatings in Toronto, the GTA, and across North America. We provide various industries, including stormwater collection, with advanced polyurea protective coatings that are proven to work. Contact us today to learn about our products or to place an order.