Polyurea roof coatings are one of the strongest waterproof and protective barriers for a variety of low slope industrial, commercial, and residential roofing structures. Used to protect and waterproof, polyurea is an excellent alternative to other roofing methods. A polyurea roofing system will waterproof and protect your structure against damages caused by inclement weather, expansion and contraction with temperature changes, abrasion, high and low-impact stressors, and corrosion.
As far as protective coatings go, polyurea will prolong the lifespan of your structure while requiring minimal repairs, replacements, and general maintenance. Here’s why:
What Is a Polyurea Roof Coating?
There is a paradigm shift happening in the roofing market today. Liquid coatings have become more and more popular over the last number of years and polyurea is the next stage in this industry’s evolution. Fluid-applied coatings can go directly over an existing roof, with polyurea being able to go over concrete, metal, mod bit, EPDM, wood, PVC, TPO, BUR and more.
As you are able to go over the existing roof, no roof cutters or prying tools that can cause debris to go “flying” are required. There is no hauling of debris across a roof to toss it into a dumpster. No hot asphalt that can penetrate a deck and seep into a unit below. Additionally, fluid applied roofs require a much smaller crew for application with no seams, no flames or torches, no glues, no forklifts, etc., reducing the risks of roofing significantly.
What Are the Benefits of Polyurea Roof Coatings?
- Liquid Roofing has a number of advantages. IMC Distributors carries a wide array of liquid waterproofing products; however, polyurea waterproof and protective coatings have a number of impressive and worthwhile advantages.
- It can withstand extreme temperature fluctuations from high humidity to well below freezing conditions
- It’s fast curing compared to other coating materials, which reduces downtime for your business or industrial complex and allows you to resume your operations much sooner (it dries to the touch in six seconds)
- Excellent chemical resistance
- 400% to 600% elongation
- High tensile strength, tear strength, abrasion resistance, and ability to bridge cracks 1/8th of an inch or less.
- Humidity insensitivity during application.
- Strong and reliable thermal stability, meaning weather variations won’t impact or minimize the performance value or the longevity of polyurea coating systems.
- 100% solids with no solvents or VOCs, polyurea is environmentally friendly and is also a green composite for recycling purposes.
- Can be applied quickly using two-component high-pressure spraying equipment with no outgassing during application, making it an environmentally friendly application.
- Forms a consistently smooth and seamless monolithic membrane once fully cured for optimal aesthetic and functional results.
- Can be applied on virtually any architectural structures for easy treatment and waterproofing of vent stacks, upturns, HVAC units etc.
- Excellent adhesion to a variety of roofing materials.
- Polyurea is hydrostatically stable and is excellent with ponding water—no seams means no leaks.
Why You Should Use Polyurea
There are a number of different liquid waterproofing solutions available. While silicone, rubber or acrylic roof products have their benefits, and negatives, polyurethane and polyurea roofs stand head and shoulders above the rest, particularly in our Canadian climate.
As wonderful as polyurethane is as a roofing option polyurea is like polyurethane on steroids. Polyurethane roofs can be installed in half the time of a more traditional roofing system, with polyurea reducing this to a quarter of the time. Additionally, with liquid roofing requiring fewer crew members to install than the traditional roofing systems, polyurea reduces the size of the crew required even further.
Our ISOMAT Polyurea roofing systems are vapour permeable, waterproof, certified for 30 years in severe weather conditions, have impressive chemical resistance and mechanical properties, are environmentally friendly, and can easily be applied by spray. They form a seamless, monolithic, flexible, and waterproof protective coating.
As the exclusive distributor of ISOMAT products in Canada, IMC Distributors is proud to offer our extensive expertise on polyurea and polyurethane roof coatings. We offer training and certifications for our products and their applications and can help to bring your roofing business into the liquid-applied coatings industry, increasing profits and reducing your risks. Contact us today to learn more about our products or to place an order.